Top tips on background checks
Mind Your Business news page relating to hints and tips for employers when performing pre-employment background checks, which I thought I would share on the blog. Here are 6 tips from the top on the hiring process:
- Before sending applications to MYB, please review the application to ensure all information is complete. By complete, we mean that employers phone numbers and address information is supplied. At minimum, please make sure the city and state are noted. Try to imagine searching for information about a company and not even knowing what state to look in.
- If your applicant reports that the employment was temporary, please ask for the agency the applicant was employed through. If the applicant was an Independent Contractor, we must have the name of a contact person as many companies do not maintain records of these contractors.
- Many companies maintain employment records for a set number of years based on state employment laws or company policy. If your applicant worked somewhere ten years ago, or more, please make sure the name of the supervisor or manager is noted on the application. This person may be able to verify this employment based on “memory”.
- If the applicant is aware that a former employer has closed or has merged with another company, please ask the applicant to provide this information.
- If the applicant received a college degree at an international school, please supply a copy of the degree for verification. We deal with institutions in other countries, but with fraud so rampant these days, they are very hesitant to cooperate.
- Please send a copy of the application and/or resume, even if you do your own data entry. Sometimes information is transposed or misspelled and these documents serve as a source for further research.
You May Also Like
Check out these additional posts from Mind Your Business.
Quality and Precise Results, On Time!
Let us know about your screening needs to get a custom quote. We work with businesses big and small as well as the government. Which means we have a package of solutions for your organization as well.