Top ten most dangerous jobs in the world
2011 Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI) program, conducted by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, was recently published and revealed the ten most dangerous jobs in the world – assessed by the fatality rate per 100,000 full time workers. Take a look at the list below – you might be surprised:
1. Fishermen (Fatality rate of 121.2 per 100,000 workers) 2. Loggers (Fatality rate of 102.4 per 100,000 workers) 3. Aircraft Pilots and Flight Engineers (Fatality rate of 57 per 100,000 workers) 4. Refuse Collectors (Fatality rate of 41.2 per 100,000 workers) 5. Roofers (Fatality rate of 31.8 per 100,000 workers) 6. Iron and Steel Workers (Fatality rate of 26.9 per 100,000 workers) 7. Farmers (Fatality rate of 25.3 per 100,000 workers) 8. Truckers and Deliverymen (Fatality rate of 24 per 100,000 workers) 9. Electrical Power Linemen (Fatality rate of 20.3 per 100,000 workers) 10. Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs (Fatality rate of 19.7 per 100,000 workers)Additional findings of the report include:
- Transportation incidents made up 41 percent of fatal occupational injuries, and 23 percent of those were roadway incidents.
- 780 workers were killed as a result of violence and other injuries by persons or animals, about 17 percent of the fatal injuries in the workplace in 2011.
- Of the 375 fatal work injuries involving female workers overall, 21 percent involved homicides. In nearly 2 out of every 5 of these homicides, the assailants were relatives.
- There were 152 multiple-fatality incidents in 2011 where more than one worker was killed in which 354 workers died.
- 458 workers died of fatal occupational injuries involving homicides and 242 died of suicides. Shootings were the most frequent manner of death in both homicides (78 percent) and suicides (45 percent).
You May Also Like
Check out these additional posts from Mind Your Business.
Quality and Precise Results, On Time!
Let us know about your screening needs to get a custom quote. We work with businesses big and small as well as the government. Which means we have a package of solutions for your organization as well.