Three important lessons from background screening experience
background screening…obviously! This puts us in a privileged position, having knowledge on something that many don’t know too much about, and allows us to provide help to those who need it – whether you be an employer or a potential employee. From this experience and working day in, day out with both applicants and businesses, we have compiled three important lessons that should be learnt, for both the employer and the potential hire. For the employer:
- Make sure you perform background checks on new employees, but also on employees who are already working at the organization.
- Don’t cut corners – too many companies try and cut corners when it comes to pre-employment background screening, but this kind of mistake can be costly in the future.
- Ensure you know the correct background legislation for your state. The laws vary from state to state, and you don’t want to make such a basic error on such an important issue.
For the applicant:
- Don’t lie about where you’ve worked or when. Nine out of 10 large companies now conduct background checks on all potential new hires and the process of verifying employment is so routine that many companies have automated the process.
- Don’t lie about where you went to school or what degree you earned. Despite the revelations about resume padding, falsehoods about your education is remarkably easy to detect.
- Be honest, prepared and confident in yourself.
So take note employers, and listen up applicants! Follow MYB’s advice and you’re sure to be on the way to finding that perfect job or ideal new hire.]]>
You May Also Like
Check out these additional posts from Mind Your Business.
Quality and Precise Results, On Time!
Let us know about your screening needs to get a custom quote. We work with businesses big and small as well as the government. Which means we have a package of solutions for your organization as well.