Five steps to performing a criminal reference check
Criminal reference checks – as part of an overall employment screening strategy – are a key part of this. At first glance, criminal reference checks seem simple, but if you’ve ever performed one you’ll know that there’s actually quite a lot to them. With that said, here are our five steps to performing a successful criminal reference check:
1) Consider your needsBefore investing in a criminal reference check program for your workplace, first identify the risk in your organization. Is there a particular department or team which requires a higher priority for such checks? How can you implement such a policy in the most effective way? Consider the specific areas it is that you want to improve with a criminal reference check program, and that’s your starting point.
2) Understand the lawSome state and federal laws can make setting up a criminal reference check program difficult, so make sure you know your stuff. If necessary, get your legal team involved and ensure you’re not putting your company at risk.
3) Get professional helpNo one knows more about criminal reference check policies and programs than a pre-employment screening company, so don’t be afraid to ask for help. They will be able to help you create a thorough, effective and affordable screening policy for your hiring program, leaving you free to focus on sustaining and increasing business.
4) Perform the checksAllow the screening service to put your plans into practice, and run the checks. It’s not always easy information to obtain, so be sure to find out what the time-line is for receiving the results.
5) Repeat, repeat, repeatRunning any sort of background check – a criminal reference check in particular – just once is good, but not quite enough. If you run a check on a job applicant prior to hiring them, and then they work for you for 20 years – is that one check enough? It’s certainly worth running checks regularly on all employees, just to be safe. Interested in learning more? Find out how we can help you protect your business and get in touch with us today. We’ll be happy to help!]]>
You May Also Like
Check out these additional posts from Mind Your Business.
Quality and Precise Results, On Time!
Let us know about your screening needs to get a custom quote. We work with businesses big and small as well as the government. Which means we have a package of solutions for your organization as well.