Austin, TX, to ban the box for private employers
ban the box legislation to give people with criminal records a fair chance to find work. The ban prohibits most private employers in the City from conducting a background check into the criminal history of job applicants until after a conditional job offer is made to them. The legislation covers most types of employment and will make it unlawful for employers to:
- Publish information about a job that states or implies the criminal history of job applicants automatically disqualifies them from the job
- Solicit or inquire about the criminal history of job applicants in an application for a job
- Solicit criminal history information about the criminal history of job applicants unless the employer first makes a conditional job offer
- Refuse to consider employing job applicants because the individual did not provide criminal history information before a conditional employment offer
- Take adverse action against job applicants because of their criminal history unless the employer determines the criminal history of the applicants bears a direct relation to the duties and responsibilities of the job and makes them unsuitable for the job
You May Also Like
Check out these additional posts from Mind Your Business.
Quality and Precise Results, On Time!
Let us know about your screening needs to get a custom quote. We work with businesses big and small as well as the government. Which means we have a package of solutions for your organization as well.